Ravin’ Girls Ep.4: No Object Permanence
Welcome to Episode 4, where we cover Chapters 12-14 of The Raven Boys!
So, who’s a socially awkward shitbird? Well, all of the characters, really, but Whelk in particular. In this episode we discuss Ronan and Gansey as old marrieds, Whelk being a genuinely distasteful human, how no one in the town of Henrietta seems to possess object permanence, and how sometimes your first instincts to help a situation are the wrong ones.
DEEP DIVE: Dowsing and pendulums
WARNING: These chapters deal with the direct result of domestic abuse. Please practice self-care while listening. We love you!
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
12/7/17– Ravin’ Girls Episode 5, covering chapter 15 of TRB
SPECIAL EPISODE RELEASE– covering the Raven Cycle Holiday Short Stories on 12/21/17!
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- Dowsing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing
- Complete translation of Georgius Agricola’s De re metallica: https://tinyurl.com/y8uwqwcr
- Metallica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhT0g9jULpw
- Dowsing tools in historical contexts: https://dowsers.org/dowsing-history/
- Source of quoted poem by Samuel Sheppard: https://tinyurl.com/yb6fvvav
- “How To Dowse” video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbwo0YCpV3E
- Ideomotor Effect: http://www.critical-thinking.org.uk/psychology/the-ideomotor-effect.php
- How to use a pendulum for divination: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Pendulum-for-Divination
- Map dowsing techniques: http://discoveringdowsing.com/map-dowsing-techniques/
- “Oh No Ross & Carrie” Dowsing and Pendulum episode: http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2014/1/1/ross-and-carrie-strike-water-dowsing-and-pendulum-edition
- Coming Apart by Charles Murray (incorrectly identified in the podcast as a Sociologist, he is a Political Scientist): https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/119020/coming-apart-by-charles-murray/9780307453433/
- “Do You Live In A Bubble” quiz based on Charles Murray’s book: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (online chat available): http://www.thehotline.org/
- Help for friends and family of abuse victims: http://www.thehotline.org/help/help-for-friends-and-family/
- RAINN (rape, abuse, and incest national network) (24/7 chat available): https://www.rainn.org/
- Maggie’s post about piracy and its effect on release of her other books: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/166952028861/ive-decided-to-tell-you-guys-a-story-about
- **MAGGIEWATCH** Maggie’s tour dates for All The Crooked Saints: https://www.maggiestiefvater.com/appearances/
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.