Ravin’ Girls Special Episode: Henrietta Holidays
Welcome to our Holiday Special Episode, where we talk about the Raven Cycle prequel holiday short stories!
We cover the two Raven Cycle holiday short stories, both set before the beginning of The Raven Boys, that focus on 300 Fox Way and Monmouth Manufacturing–and basically every tradition we could possibly glean as being referenced.
After approx. timestamp 31:51–depending on your player– we talk about our own personal holiday traditions, both growing up and how we celebrate now. Find out what scent reminds Shannon of Christmas! (Hint: it’s not pine trees or peppermint.) Find out what Nievita’s favorite Christmas Special is! (Hint: it does involve raisins.) And stick around until the end for a special Holiday Thank You to all of our listeners.
DEEP DIVE: Basically every single holiday tradition we could find in the short stories
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
We will have a short hiatus the first week of January, and return with Episode 6 on 1/18/18!
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- 300 Fox Way holiday short story: http://ireadyabooks.tumblr.com/post/104765423295/day-9-of-the-twelve-days-of-ya-todays-featured
- Gansey/Monmouth holiday short story: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/135789527881/a-minor-raven-boys-holiday-drabble
- Interesting article on various solstice traditions: http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/celsolstice.html
Baltic and Nordic Traditions:
- Estonian Holiday Traditions:
http://estonianworld.com/life/christmas-customs-estonia/ (blood sausage is also mentioned on this page)
- More Estonian traditions: https://www.eesti.pl/folk-traditions-of-estonia-christmas-1371.html
- Poland Wigilia (“vigil” or “eve”), with references to straw prognostication/game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigilia)
- Food left on table for spirits in Finland, more hay in livingroom for sleeping: https://tinyurl.com/ybss4ren
- Food left on table/prognostication by straws/straw ornaments: http://www.lithaz.org/arts/xmas.html
Nievita’s note: I erroneously stated that Kwanzaa was founded in the 70’s. Further research has said Kwanzaa was founded in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga. Also interesting to note that the number 7 is held in high regard in the celebration of Kwanzaa.
Milk on tree roots (possibly):
- Silvanus, Roman god of Trees and Fields: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvanus_(mythology)
- Traditional worship of Silvanus: https://tinyurl.com/y86xgn4e
- Libation, or liquid offering to gods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libation
- Milk as libation/offering: https://www.magicalrecipesonline.com/2015/11/the-five-sacred-liquids-for-libation-all-you-need-to-know-about-offerings-to-the-gods-2.html
- Short history/definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassailing
- Wassailing and Mumming: https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/wassailing.shtml
- Glühwein: http://oakden.co.uk/gluvine-gluhwein/
- Hogfather (Terry Pratchett): https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34532.Hogfather
Mari Lwyd (Mary Loyd) (Grey Mare):
- Bodhran, skin drum: https://youtu.be/dMI4X8OOMOg
- The Corrs, Toss The Feathers: https://youtu.be/E4z7Y6sY6aM
- Mummers in Celtic countries: http://www.celticchristmasmusic.com/christmas-traditions/mummers-in-celtic-countries.htm
- A description of the Mummer plays: http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/ACalend/Mummers.html
- Mummers and their representation of death and resurrection: http://www.sligoheritage.com/archmummers.htm
- Mummers and Solstice: http://www.wintersolsticemusic.com/solstice-traditions/mummers-celtic-winter-solstice.htm
Poem–“To Drive the Cold Winter Away”:
- Poem text: https://tinyurl.com/yb73cp94
- History of poem/music: https://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/drive_the_cold_winter_away.htm
Our personal holiday traditions:
- 3 Kings Day/Epiphany in Spain: https://madridfoodtour.com/los-reyes-magos-the-spanish-christmas-tradition/
- King Cake: https://www.eater.com/2017/1/11/14168802/king-cake-history
- King Cake and Misrule: https://gambinos.com/new-orleans-food/king-cake-history/
- Bing Crosby/David Bowie version of Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth: https://www.vevo.com/watch/bing-crosby/the-little-drummer-boy-peace-on-earth/USVC57700736
- Sailor Moon Christmas CD: https://youtu.be/VwGW-TO-b1A
- Sting, Soul Cake: https://youtu.be/qAeTifNBYlo
- Loreena McKennitt, Mummer’s Dance: https://youtu.be/qxTpvA-pUG0
- Miracle on 34th Street: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039628/
- Claymation Christmas Special (We Three Kings): https://youtu.be/CnIFTtW1pko
- Batman Returns: https://nerdist.com/batman-returns-christmas-movie/
- Announcement of release date for the Raven King and accompanying short story: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/168311930671/maggie-stiefvater-ok-if-you-order-the-paperback
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
– – – – –
special episode, holiday episode, holiday, christmas, raven cycle short stories, ravin’ girls, ravin’ girls holiday special episode, raven cycle podcast, ya lit, literary analysis, trc, the raven cycle, the raven boys, the dream thieves, blue lily lily blue, the raven king, maggie stiefvater