Ravin’ Girls Ep.13: Triskaidekaphobia
Welcome to Episode 13, where we cover Chapters 36-38 of The Raven Boys!
While 13 is generally one of Nievita’s favorite numbers, this episode feels very unlucky indeed. We take a dark ride through the confrontation between Adam and Robert Parrish and the immediate aftermath–and while we do cry, it’s possibly not as much as we thought we would. We tackle some pretty heavy topics such as the responsibility of Adam’s mom, Ronan’s expression of his pain and frustration, the protection that white privilege affords some of the characters, and how Gansey’s own parental emotional neglect may have played in to his responses (but does not excuse his victim-blaming.) Strap in, my friends… you know it’s a tough one when Whelk is the comic relief.
WARNING: These chapters deal with the direct result of domestic abuse. Please practice self-care while listening. We love you!
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
6/7/18— Ravin’ Girls Episode 14, covering chapters 39-43 of TRB
6/21/18— Ravin’ Girls Episode 15, covering chapters 44-48 of TRB
Past Episode Guide: https://ravingirls.tumblr.com/episodes
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- Story structure: https://timstout.wordpress.com/story-structure/blake-snyders-beat-sheet/
- Freud’s theory of the Id, Ego, and Super-Ego: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego,_and_super-ego
- HIPPA privacy protections: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/488/does-hipaa-permit-a-doctor-to-discuss-a-patients-health-status-with-the-patients-family-and-friends/index.html
- A post from Maggie about Adam and his recovery from abuse: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/121382807521/hi-maggie-saw-that-adam-v-his-father-post-and
- The likability of Gansey vs. Adam: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/115211556436/i-am-always-surprised-to-see-how-much-hate-there
- Maggie’s favorite bit of writing in the Raven Cycle: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/128040788706/first-your-posts-are-amazingly-helpful and
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (online chat available): http://www.thehotline.org/
- Help for friends and family of abuse victims: http://www.thehotline.org/help/help-for-friends-and-family
RAINN (rape, abuse, and incest national network) (24/7 chat available): https://www.rainn.org/
- What to do (and what not to do) if a friend is in an abusive relationship: https://nurselofwyr.tumblr.com/post/102127422584/selfcareafterrape-selfcareafterrape-i
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
Ravin’ Girls logo and banner art © 2018 Mio Mäkijärvi, All Rights Reserved. Please visit http://kojotei.tumblr.com/ for more information.
– – – – –
trc, the raven cycle, the raven boys, ronan lynch, maggie stiefvater, episode13, Ravin’ Girls: A Raven Cycle Podcast, ravin’ girls, raven cycle podcast, podcast, ya lit, literary analysis, trb, tdt, dream thieves, bllb, blue lily lily blue, trk, raven king, gansey, richard campbell gansey iii, adam parrish, blue sargent, noah czerny, gangsey, tw:abuse, content warning, domestic abuse