Ravin’ Girls Ep.14: Guacamole Love
Welcome to Episode 14, where we cover Chapters 39-43 of The Raven Boys!
We are just one episode away from the end of Season 1 and wrapping up the first book of the Raven Cycle. It’s been a lot of laughs and tears so far, and just like these chapters we are winding up to go out with a stampede! Or, well, something like that. Shannon drops some Transformers trivia and calls Nievita out on her taste in men; Nievita makes a Rick Riordan joke and questions whether Punxsutawney Phil is actually immortal as claimed; and we discuss terrible lunch habits and that Whelk is indeed correct on one thing and one thing only… guacamole might be worth committing murder for.
DEEP DIVE: The Folklore of Weather Forecasting (approx. 33:53-47:25 depending on player)
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
6/21/18— Ravin’ Girls Episode 15, covering chapters 44-48 of TRB
HIATUS— We will be taking a short break between Season1: The Raven Boys and Season2: The Dream Thieves — stay tuned to social media & subscribed to our feed for giveaways and announcements!
Past Episode Guide: https://ravingirls.tumblr.com/episodes
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs
- Maggie compares the fandom’s reaction to Adam to Voldemort: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/115211556436/i-am-always-surprised-to-see-how-much-hate-there
- Maggie describes Adam’s hair color: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/84317929621/i-dont-know-if-youve-answered-this-question
- Virginia Soil Judging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvaBEoyoInc
- Some good general weather forecasting folklore: https://paddling.com/learn/how-to-forecast-the-weather/
- Can leaves predict a storm?: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/can-leaves-predict-a-storm-3195
- Rain crow article: http://www.heraldcourier.com/outdoor/rarely-seen-rain-crow-is-actually-two-related-birds/article_e85daaf8-652f-11e4-b095-0017a43b2370.html
- Mourning Dove: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mourning_Dove/overview
- Yellow-Billed Cuckoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrfLVIXZMdI&t=50s
- George Freier, author of Weather Proverbs: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1990/01/04/environment/2d86b1b1-0dd2-4f78-a156-1dd34b53e178/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5cacf5a6155c
- Goodreads page for Weather Proverbs: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1383556.Weather_Proverbs
- “The Bends” or Decompression Sickness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness
- Wooly worms: https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/can-woolly-worms-predict-the-weather
- Woolly Bears: https://www.almanac.com/content/woolly-bear-caterpillars-and-weather-prediction
- Moon Halo: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/ring-around-the-moon-9657
- Stephen King’s The Sun Dog: http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sun_Dog
- Sun dogs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
- Willow stuff: https://www.druidry.org/library/trees/tree-lore-willow
- Mountain Ash berries: http://www.ktvz.com/news/bend/the-truth-behind-winter-weather-proverbs/68661754
- Confirmation Bias: https://sites.google.com/site/skepticalmedicine//cognitive-biases
- Weather Folklore that has scientific backing: https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/22-old-weather-proverbs-that-are-actually-true/
- Groundhog Day History/Folklore: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/groundhog-day-history-folklore-23718
- Matthew 16:2-5: https://www.biblestudytools.com/nkjv/matthew/passage/?q=matthew+16:2-5
- Rick Riordan: http://rickriordan.com/
- The height of Hobbits: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Hobbits
- The Greek Goddess Artemis: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Artemis-Greek-goddess
Maggie describes “the worst thing that fandom has ever done”, sparking a wildfire debate over Adam Parrish: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/174212970391/friend-whats-the-worst-thing-fandom-ever-did-me
We will be taking a brief break between Seasons 1 & 2 (well, we won’t–but there will be a break in our release schedule!) Please keep an eye on our social media for announcements of when we will be back, and stay subscribed for teasers and other promotional information!
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
Ravin’ Girls logo and banner art © 2018 Mio Mäkijärvi, All Rights Reserved. Please visit http://kojotei.tumblr.com/ for more information.
– – – – –
trc, the raven cycle, the raven boys, ronan lynch, maggie stiefvater, episode14, Ravin’ Girls: A Raven Cycle Podcast, ravin’ girls, raven cycle podcast, podcast, ya lit, literary analysis, trb, tdt, dream thieves, bllb, blue lily lily blue, trk, raven king, gansey, richard campbell gansey iii, adam parrish, blue sargent, noah czerny, gangsey, folklore, weather, weather folklore