Ravin’ Girls S2 Ep.18: Turkey Cordon Dieu
Welcome to Season 2 Episode 18, where we cover Chapters 8-11 of The Dream Thieves!
We discover that Nievita has a strange attraction to a particular body part, that Shannon was blindsided by the Pynch first kiss, and we ask our listeners how they pronounce “Niall”. Find out how the tradition of running moonshine relates to Ronan’s favorite hobby. Find out how Blue got her name, and what folklore tradition Nievita thinks is tied to 300 Fox Way. And your Ravin’ Girls hosts finally reveal their Hogwarts Houses on the podcast… not like anyone is surprised, we’re sure!
DEEP DIVE: The Cultural Influence of the Scots-Irish in Appalachia (from approx. the 45:56 minute mark to 1:09:58, depending on player)
CAUTION: These chapters deal with the aftermath of childhood abuse. Please practice self-care while listening. We love you!
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
1/24/19– Ravin’ Girls Episode 19, covering chapters 12-14 of TDT
2/7/19– Ravin’ Girls Episode 20, covering chapters 15-18 of TDT
Past Episode Guide: https://ravingirls.tumblr.com/episodes
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- The (almost) 1000-year-old Ancient Ram Inn: https://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/the-ancient-ram-inn-wotton-under-edge-gloucestershire
- Somebody Else’s Problem Field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_else%27s_problem
- Poverty Thinking: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/your-brain-on-poverty-why-poor-people-seem-to-make-bad-decisions/281780/
- SPENT “game”, a poverty simulator: http://playspent.org/html/
- Ravin’ Girls post about Woodberry Forest School/Aglionby tuition: http://ravingirls.tumblr.com/post/179284618844/i-just-started-listening-to-your-podcast-this-week
- Intermittent Explosive Disorder: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evil-deeds/201007/intermittent-explosive-disorder-no-is-not-all-about-mel-mad-max-gibson
- Harvard study, trauma passed on in sperm: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/child-abuse-dna-trauma-genetics-molecular-scars-sperm-harvard-university-a8563906.html
- Anxiety passed on in the sperm of mice: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2013/11/15/mice-inherit-the-fears-of-their-fathers/
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapy-types/dialectical-behavior-therapy
- Adventures of Hufflepuff and Slytherin: http://ravingirls.tumblr.com/post/176700061664/the-adventures-of-hufflepuff-and-slytherin-when
- The Other Irish: The Scots-Irish Rascals Who Made America by Karen F. McCarthy: https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Other_Irish.html?id=lOexuAAACAAJ
- Documentary, The Scots-Irish in Appalachia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOyYQ0Wm_I
- Blue Ridge National Heritage Area: https://www.blueridgeheritage.com/heritage/historic/cultural-heritage/scots-irish-heritage/
- A Glimpse of Appalachian Heritage: https://www.vincentproperties.com/blog/scots-irish-appalachia/
- The People’s Heritage: http://hendersonheritage.com/the-people-heritage-dialect-homestead-clothing/
- Brief History of Moonshine: http://mentalfloss.com/article/71993/brief-history-moonshine
- Panel discussion, “Tradition and Identity in Irish, Scottish and Appalachian Ballads”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQx5ZcR7l-c
- Documentary, The Scots-Irish musical legacy in the USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN3H2JPqKRY
- Appalachian Dulcimer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_dulcimer
- Wayfaring Strangers: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21888019-wayfaring-strangers
- Short Podcast from WBUR, This Music Has No Borders: Scots-Irish Music In Appalachia: https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2014/10/01/wayfaring-strangers-book
- Swannanoa Gathering: https://www.swangathering.com/
- Documentary, “Mountain Talk” by The Language & Life Project: https://youtu.be/iHIJfbYhQFg
- Appalachian English Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_English
- John Richards, “Folk Magic and Protestant Christianity in Appalachia”: https://www.scribd.com/doc/82862186/Folk-Magic-and-Protestant-Christianity-in-Appalachia
- Appalachian folk healers: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/southern-appalachia-folk-healers-granny-women-neighbor-ladies
- Granny witches: https://gotmountainlife.com/granny-witches/
- Byron Ballard: https://mountainx.com/living/wellness/byron-ballard-keeps-appalachian-folk-magic-practices-alive/
- Traditions of Granny Witches: https://witchesofthecraft.com/2018/05/05/different-paths-of-witchcraft-appalachian-granny-magic/
- Healing and Magic in Appalachia: https://remedygrove.com/traditional/grannywomenhealingandmagic
- Haint Blue: https://www.theawl.com/2018/01/haint-blue-the-ghost-tricking-color-of-southern-homes-and-gullah-folktales/
- Blue was named after her aura: https://66.media.tumblr.com/c77777b70f97252744ac9c7b92b493f0/tumblr_n4r7uloWE31rk5a9yo1_1280.jpg
- The Moonlit Road podcast: https://www.themoonlitroad.com/
- Original draft regarding the term “Greywaren”: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/129496081531/maggie-stiefvater-i-cant-believe-im-showing
Maggie unexpectedly released a new TRC holiday-themed short story on Christmas Eve, entitled, “A Very Declan Christmas”: http://maggiestiefvater.com/a-raven-cycle-holiday-short/
If you have not had a chance to listen, we covered the previous Raven Cycle holiday stories in our 2017 Special Episode “Henrietta Holidays”: https://ravingirls.podiant.co/e/35c8adf7f5f12e/
The Ravin’ Girls Season 2 giveaway will run January 22nd, 2019 through the 31st, with winners being contacted the first weekend of February. Keep an eye on our social media (@ravingirls everywhere) for entry requirements, and good luck to each and every one of you!
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
Ravin’ Girls logo and banner art © 2018 Mio Mäkijärvi, All Rights Reserved. Please visit http://kojotei.tumblr.com/ for more information.