Ravin’ Girls S2 Ep.20: Silent Hill Flashbacks
Welcome to Season 2 Episode 20, where we cover Chapters 15-18 of The Dream Thieves!
The Gangsey head back to visit their mystical talking tree friends for the first time since Adam made his bargain, but what’s this? A whole forest is gone! The Pig once again breaks down in a plot-convenient way, and Ronan has terrible dreams… some of which escape his head. We talk about what a drama queen Ronan can be, how Gansey can apparently use a smooth pick-up line on everyone except Blue, the parallels between Ronan’s mask dream and incidents in The Raven King, and how even Goddesses can sometimes make poor fashion choices.
DEEP DIVE: The Mythology of Dreams (from approx. the 29:30 minute mark to 42:28, depending on your player)
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
2/21/19— Ravin’ Girls S2 Episode 21, covering chapters 19-22 of TDT
3/7/19— Ravin’ Girls S2 Episode 22, covering chapters 23-26 of TDT
Past Episode Guide: https://ravingirls.tumblr.com/episodes
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- Ambivert: https://www.scienceofpeople.com/ambivert/
- Maggie’s thumbnail sketches of her characters: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/121593187121/hi-do-you-have-character-profiles-for-trc
- Adam/Mr. Gray ‘ship name: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/112444435026/me-help-me-with-this-scene-lover-whos-in-it-me
- Carl Jung quote: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/403912-nights-through-dreams-tell-the-myths-forgotten-by-the-day
- Joseph Campbell quote: http://mythsdreamssymbols.com/mythanddreams.html
- Egyptian Dream Book: https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/egyptian-dream-book-001621
- British Museum Collection listing: https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=117410&partId=1
- Where Dreams May Come: Incubation Sanctuaries in the Greco-Roman World by Gil Renberg (pub. May 30, 2017: https://books.google.com/books?id=4tYkDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA41&lpg=PA41&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Gilgamesh, Enkidu, and the Netherworld and the Sumerian Gilgamesh Cycle by Alhena Gadotti (pub. Aug 8, 2014): https://books.google.com/books?id=ojDnBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA283&lpg=PA283&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false
- King James Genesis 41: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+41&version=KJV
- Abenaki Creation Myth: https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/AbenakiCreationStoryandTheImportanceofDreaming-Abenaki.html
- Vishnu dreaming Creation: http://www.allabouthinduism.info/2013/03/06/brahma-creates/
- Caer Ibometh: https://feminismandreligion.com/2015/01/28/caer-ibormeith-celtic-goddess-of-dreams-and-prophecy-by-judith-shaw/
- Dream Angus, traditional Scottish lullaby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQb86rMUxo
- Morpheus: https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends-europe/morpheus-greek-god-dreams-who-delivered-messages-gods-mortal-world-002318
- Oxford translation: https://books.google.com/books?id=eKf8zCFn210C&pg=RA2-PA65&lpg=RA2-PA65#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Neil Gaimen, The Sandman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)
- The Sandman (short Story): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(short_story)
- The Sand-Man, full text: http://art3idea.psu.edu/metalepsis/texts/sandman.pdf
- Ole Lukøje on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Luk%C3%B8je
- Ole-Luk-Oie, the Dream-God by Hans Christian Andersen, full text: http://hca.gilead.org.il/ole_luk.html
- Dreaming myths and legends: https://www.dreams.co.uk/sleep-matters-club/sleeping-beliefs-and-legends-from-around-the-world/
- Science of dreaming: https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/dreaming-overview#1
- T.E. Lawrence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence
- First chapter of Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/lawrence/te/seven/introduction1.html
- Dream symbolism of a mask: http://www.dreambible.com/search.php?q=Mask
- Snippet from the Dreamer Trilogy: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/180965493291/finally-to-line-edits-on-this-beastie-line-edits
- Seneca quotes: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Seneca_the_Younger
- Seneca, Moral Letters to Lucilius 87: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius/Letter_87
- Mothman: https://allthatsinteresting.com/mothman
- Ovid quote: https://archive.org/stream/metamorphoseswit02oviduoft/metamorphoseswit02oviduoft_djvu.txt
Maggie has designed a giveaway print for IndieBookstoreDay, happening on April 27, 2019. It depicts what may (or may not) be a favorite scene of hers from the upcoming first book of the Dreamer Trilogy. For more information about Indie Bookstore Day, visit http://www.indiebookstoreday.com/ and to find a participating store near you, check out this map: http://indiemap.bookweb.org/
REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER!!! We have finally been given a release date for the first book of the Dreamer Trilogy, titled Call Down The Hawk. PREORDERS HAVE BEGUN!
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
Ravin’ Girls logo and banner art © 2018 Mio Mäkijärvi, All Rights Reserved. Please visit http://kojotei.tumblr.com/ for more information.
– – – – –