Welcome to Season 2 Episode 30, where we cover Chapters 60 through the Epilogue of The Dream Thieves!
Two dreamers. Two monsters. Two brothers. Two battles. One. Epic. PARTY!!! This is it! The final episode of Season Two! Buckle in and strap your helmet on, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. The final showdown between Kavinsky and Ronan. The final showdown between The Gray Man and his brother. A little bro is rescued, and a mom disappears. There are tears. And excitement. And dragons!
We lament our small town experiences, Shannon tries to avoid getting on any sort of Watch List, we talk about comfort music, Nievita throws some shade at early Merlin myths, and we try to figure out where the box of tissues is hiding. Whoo, boy. You might want to grab one for yourself, too!
DEEP DIVE: DRAGONS! (from approx. the 41:38 minute mark to 53:43, depending on your player)
CAUTION: These last chapters and our discussion deals with mental health and suicide. Please, always put yourself first and practice self-love and compassion while listening. If you or anyone you know may be experiencing a painful crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, available 24 hours a day (USA) or use their chat function at http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx
You can also reach the crisis text line by texting 741741 in the US (https://www.crisistextline.org/) — we love you.
Additional warnings: This episode contains the sound effects of fireworks, car crashes, and gun loading/gunfire. Please be advised and listen with caution if you find yourself sensitive to these sounds.
Visit us at https://ravingirls.podiant.co for complete episode details!
– – – – –
Please subscribe on your favorite podcast player to get our upcoming releases scheduled between Season 2: The Dream Thieves and Season 3: Blue Lily, Lily Blue!
Past Episode Guide: https://ravingirls.tumblr.com/episodes
Or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
(For Tumblr: put “Read More” cut after this title)
- Yacht Rock: https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/7/12/this-is-the-definitive-definition-of-yacht-rock
- Abuse victims as people pleasers: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evolution-the-self/200807/parent-pleasing-people-pleasing-part-2-3
- Young Frankenstein, “LIFE!” clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxsLKQidY4
- Maggie vs. Canada, a one act play: http://maggiestiefvater.com/the-deceased-language-of-speed/
- Epigraph quote by August Strindberg: http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1023.html
- The Defence of a Fool, by August Strindberg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Defence_of_a_Fool
- BRB Getting Dragons: https://twitter.com/mstiefvater/status/1171967396770435075
- Tiamat from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiamat
- Smithsonian Magazine article on possible origins: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/where-did-dragons-come-from-23969126/
- Wikipedia dragon article (mainly for use for further research): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon
- Dragon definition: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/dragon
- Tiamat: https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Tiamat
- Vortigern’s collapsing fortress: https://www.timelessmyths.com/arthurian/merlin.html
- Myth of Two Dragons: https://ztevetevans.wordpress.com/2017/07/05/the-prophecy-of-merlin-the-two-dragons/
- Another version of the Two Dragons legend: http://notableinklings.blogspot.com/2011/12/legends-of-red-and-white-dragons-and.html
- Merlin and Stonehenge: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Le-Me/Merlin.html
- Glendower’s dragon standard: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofWales/The-Red-Dragon-of-Wales/
- The Welsh Red Dragon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Dragon
- Fan art by Rauviel: https://twitter.com/rauviel/status/1170755234064470018
- Borderline Personality Disorder symptoms: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/borderline-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20370237
- Symptoms and Causes of Personality Disorders: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/personality-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20354463
- Biddy Tarot, the 10 of Swords: https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/minor-arcana/suit-of-swords/ten-of-swords/
- “This Is The Moody Blues” by The Moody Blues: https://dangerousminds.net/comments/mb
- Playlist, “This Is The Moody Blues”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovDkghem4p8&list=PLReppyXgWKk6PaeD7hVmzTyChZDmYpISl
- How to Spot a Sociopath: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/5-types-people-who-can-ruin-your-life/201803/how-spot-sociopath-in-3-steps
- Post-it Note Switcheroo: https://twitter.com/mstiefvater/status/1171968996616343552
Maggie’s livetweet reread of The Raven Boys: https://twitter.com/mstiefvater/status/1167803171500150784
The Dream Thieves: https://twitter.com/mstiefvater/status/1171797726717235200
Blue Lily, Lily Blue: https://twitter.com/mstiefvater/status/1175391811814252546
Even though Season 2 is officially over, we are still going to be very very busy! We are planning our Season 2 Wrap-Up/2-year anniversary episode, so please feel free to get in touch with questions/comments for that. We are also planning on recording the Toxic Masculinity DD/mini-episode that we promised, AND a Call Down The Hawk special episode! Lots to look forward to and to keep your feed ful between seasons!
Also, please recommend us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pg/ravingirls/reviews/
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
“Boys of Summer” © Don Henley and UMG, ℗ 1984 Geffen Records: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEaWaifQPJg
“Waterloo Sunset”, “Destroyer”, and “Wonderboy” © The Kinks, released by Sanctuary Records and EMI Music Publishing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MqfF0WBsU, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9q3nqVnlM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNbDn4mBcA
Sound effects found on FreeSound.org. All tracks were edited for the podcast, attribution where requested.
Ravin’ Girls logo and banner art © 2018 Mio Mäkijärvi, All Rights Reserved. Please visit http://kojotei.tumblr.com/ for more information.