Ravin’ Girls Ep.16: Dewey Decimal Ogres
Is it finally here? Is this actually real?! Is it happening, or are we just DREAMING? Welcome to Season 2 Episode 16, where we cover the Prologue-Chap.3 of The Dream Thieves!
We are indeed BACK with our first episode covering the second book of The Raven Cycle, The Dream Thieves! Join us as we introduce our favorite hit man, talk about the fairytale-esque stories of the Lynch family, Nievita reveals that she has discovered the birthdate of Niall Lynch, Shannon reveals that she shares one of Ronan’s favorite things, and we both reveal that we are huge nerds by making Monty Python references. (Just kidding on that last one–you already knew we were huge nerds.) And we want you to tell us… what should trigger our Season 2 Drinking Game?
DEEP DIVE: Tropes & Motifs of Fairytales and Celtic Mythology (from approx. the 19:49 minute mark to 36:59, depending on player)
Subscribe at: https://ravingirls.podiant.co or wherever you get your podcasts, and please comment, rate, or review!
– – – – –
12/20/18— Ravin’ Girls Episode 17, covering chapters 4-7 of TDT
1/3/19— Ravin’ Girls Episode 18, covering chapters 8-11 of TDT
Past Episode Guide: https://ravingirls.tumblr.com/episodes
– – – – –
Links to Articles, Websites, and Other Discussions:
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/samuel-taylor-coleridge
- The “Lake Poets”: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Lake-poet
- Origins of the “What if in your dream you went to heaven” Coleridge poetry fragment: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/05/29/flower/
- List of earthquakes in the British Isles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_the_British_Isles#20th_century
- Kirkby Stephen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkby_Stephen
- Borage, flowers and herb uses: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/borage.aspx
- Maggie draws a WikiHow about Dream Thieving: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/160739089521/i-love-wikihow-they-gave-me-the-go-ahead-to
- Aarne-Thompson Folk Tale Classification System: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarne%E2%80%93Thompson_classification_systems
- Aarne-Thompson-Uther Tale Type Index: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/aarne-thompson-uther-tale-type-index-fables-fairy-tales
- Folklore, Fairy Tales, and Fables of the World Dewey Decimal 398.2: http://www.storyarts.org/classroom/retelling/findingtales.html
- The Multilingual Folk Tale Database: http://www.mftd.org/index.php?action=atu
- Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail, “Swallows Carrying Coconuts”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y
- Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail, “Bridge of Death”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y
- TV Tropes, main fairytale tropes: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FairyTaleTropes
- Eglise St Ronan à Locronan (St. Ronan’s Church): https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyril_bkl/3869158610
- Locronan in Brittany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqZNXsc4va4
- Grimm folk tale, The Raven: http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/authors/grimms/93raven.html
- The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1230802.The_Celtic_Book_of_Living_and_Dying
- Heroes of the Dawn: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/543281.Heroes_of_the_Dawn
- Damh the Bard Mabinogion First Branch: https://play.google.com/music/m/Booidhqebbpjcx3uvp77w4r67hy?t=Y_Mabinogi_The_First_Branch_-_Damh_the_Bard
- Damh the Bard Mabinogion 2nd Branch: https://play.google.com/music/m/Bsw3x3k3kyn7gcmumqxwciyewia?t=Y_Mabinogi_The_Second_Branch_-_Damh_the_Bard
- Anthropomorphic Pig: http://ravingirls.tumblr.com/post/178992564784/butchchainsaw-gandower-hauntestly
- @lynchbrothers post about Declan’s “Effervescence” door: http://lynchbrothers.tumblr.com/post/174283577151/declan-my-roommates-arent-home-tonight-if-you
- What is fluxgrate gradiometry: http://www.lgs.ie/magnetic-gradiometry.shtml
- The true story behind the Pied Piper of Hamelin: https://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/pied-piper2.htm
- Maggie’s Mitsubishi Evo, “The Knife Incident”: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/109830738476/what-is-the-knife-incident
- Painting the knife on her Mitsubishi Evo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7WQS_tOFU
- Kavinsky wasn’t loved enough at the factory: http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/post/92588393596/car-question-kavinsky-routinely-messes-up
Maggie has been in England and Scotland for the past few weeks, we hope doing location research for upcoming projects! She had teased a possibility for a sequel to the Scorpio Races. Here she tweets about visiting the Roman Baths in Bath: https://twitter.com/mstiefvater/status/1065301590851166213
We WILL be doing the promised giveaway for Season 2: The Dream Thieves in mid-January 2019, so please watch our social media accounts for how to enter. GOOD LUCK!
– – – – –
The Raven Cycle and all affiliated properties (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and The Raven King) are copyright Maggie Stiefvater and Scholastic, Inc. The Ravin’ Girls reference these properties for the purpose of literary analysis.
Intro and Outro music by Damiano Baldoni, used under CC Attribution License: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damiano_Baldoni/Lost_Dinasty/
The original tracks have been edited for the podcast.
Ravin’ Girls logo and banner art © 2018 Mio Mäkijärvi, All Rights Reserved. Please visit http://kojotei.tumblr.com/ for more information.
– – – – –
trc, the raven cycle, the dream thieves, ronan lynch, joseph kavinsky, maggie stiefvater, episode16, Ravin’ Girls: A Raven Cycle Podcast, ravin’ girls, raven cycle podcast, podcast, ya lit, literary analysis, trb, tdt, bllb, blue lily lily blue, trk, raven king, gansey, richard campbell gansey iii, adam parrish, blue sargent, noah czerny, gangsey, fairytales, celtic myth, mythology